BRIEF HISTORY OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF ALAMADA

The Municipality of Alamada was established pursuant to Republic Act 5645 on June 21, 1969. It was named in honor of Datu Amaybulyok Alamada, an Iranon leader who fought against foreign oppression and tyranny.

Prior to its creation as a municipality, the area was part of a Resettlement Project based on Proclamation No. 376, which reserved a parcel of public land for the use of the Economic Development Corps (EDCOR) in the Municipality of Parang, Province of Cotabato, Island of Mindanao. This proclamation was signed by then-President Elpidio Quirino on March 10, 1953. On January 1, 1954, the area was named Genio EDCOR Farm, pursuant to Section 3 of General Order No. 409 GHQ, AFP,  in honor of the late M/Sgt. Rogerio Genio, one of four AFP Corps of Engineers personnel ambushed in Isabela in 1953 during a survey and construction mission of the Pedro EDCOR Farm. The Genio EDCOR Farm was officially opened for development on January 5, 1954.

At the time of its establishment, Genio EDCOR Farm had 899 settler families cultivating 28,380 hectares (Ministry of Agriculture, 1978). Under the leadership of Col. Dalmacio Tecson as Farm Administrator, and with equipment and supplies provided by the national government through the Joint U.S. Military Advisory Group (JUSMAG), land was cleared, roads were established, administration buildings were constructed, and sites for settlers’ homes were prepared. The new settlers began building their homes and clearing farmland with government-supplied materials and assistance from AFP troops (Greenberg, 1987). The Administration Building, along with other public facilities such as the Civic Action Center (CAC) Hall and soldiers’ cottages, was constructed around what is now known as Magsasay Park. Officers’ Line Cottages were located on higher ground near the Administration Building, while the Enlisted Men’s cottages were situated on lower ground near the riverbank, known as EM’s Barrio. During this period, the area was still a political subdivision of the Municipality of Midsayap, and Mr. Samson B. Buenafe, one of the original settlers, represented Genio EDCOR Farm in the Midsayap municipal council. Over time, “Genio EDCOR Farm” was simplified to “Genio Edcor,” which became the common name for the area.

When Barrio Libungan and other nearby barrios were separated from the Municipality of Midsayap to form an independent municipality on August 7, 1961, Genio Edcor became a political subdivision of the Municipality of Libungan. On January 30, 1961, five settlers from Genio Edcor—Edmundo Buenaflor, Dioscoro Jalandoni, Juan Manantan, Teodoro Esteban, and Samson Buenafe—sponsored Resolution No. 6, Series of 1967, to create Genio Edcor as a separate municipality. The resolution was approved by the Libungan municipal council and forwarded to the Provincial Board of Cotabato. However, Governor Datu Udtog Matalam returned the resolution, which was subsequently amended by Resolution No. 25, dated November 13, 1967, proposing the creation of the Municipality of Alamada, with Kitacubong as the seat of its municipal government.

On April 4, 1968, the Provincial Board of Cotabato approved Resolution No. 38 supporting Resolution No. 25 for the creation of the Municipality of Alamada. Resolution No. 38 was forwarded to the House of Representatives for approval on May 22, 1969. Both the Senate and the House of Representatives of the Sixth Congress of the Republic of the Philippines passed Republic Act No. 5645, which officially created the Municipality of Alamada on June 21, 1969.

The barrios of Kitakubong, Pacao, Palayagan, Camansi, Mapurok, Macabasa, Pigcawaran, Rangayan (now Rangayen), Dado, Guiling, Bao, Malitubog, and Paruayan from the Municipality of Libungan, and the sitios of Marakabak, Pidatan, Dimampao, and Kurope from the Municipality of Carmen, all in the Province of Cotabato, were separated from these municipalities and constituted into the new Municipality of Alamada. Pursuant to Presidential Decree No. 557, s. 1974, “barrios” in the Philippines were re-designated as “barangays.” From the original 13 barangays, four new barangays (Mirasol, Raradanagan, Barangiran, and Lower Dado) were created, bringing the total to 17 barangays in the municipality.

In the 1970s, the peace and order situation in Alamada was significantly affected by the conflict between the “Ilaga” and the “Blackshirt,” extremist groups representing Christians and Muslims, respectively. One contributing factor was disputes over land as more Visayan migrants arrived, outnumbering the Muslim and Lumad populations. In response, the Local Government Unit of Alamada initiated peace and reconciliation efforts among Christians, Muslims, and Lumads, leading to the municipality being declared a “Zone of Peace” by Sanguniang Bayan Resolution No. 2, 393-S-2011, approved on September 26, 2011.

On April 4, 2012, the Asik-Asik Falls, a majestic and mysterious spring falls, was officially discovered, opening new opportunities for tourism in the municipality.

THE BARANGAYS OF ALAMADA

Out of the (17) branagays of the Municipality of Alamada, thirteen of them, namely Bao,  Camansi, Dado, Guiling, Kitakubong, Macabasa, Malitubog, Mapurok, Pacao, Paruayan , Pigcawaran, Polayagan, and Rangayen were already existing barrios when the municipality was created in 1969, and the other four, namely Barangiran, Lower Dado, Mirasol, and Raradangan were only created as distinct and independent barangays after the year 1972.

 

On June 16, 1960, the Sitio Dado and Sitio Pacao, which were still under the jurisdiction of the Municipality of Midsayap were converted into barrios pursuant to Republic Act No. 2835: An Act Creating Certain Barrios in the Municipality of Midsayap, Province of Cotabato.

 

When the Municipality of Libungan was created on January 27, 1961 pursuant to Executive Order No 414, s. 1961, some sitios and barrios from the two adjacent municipalities were incorporated into one distinct and independent municipality. Those include the Malitubog, Bao, and Rangayan from the Municipality of Carmen and Pigcawaran, Pacao, Dado and other barrios and sitios from the Municipality of Midsayap. The name “Rangayan” became “Rangayen” later on.

 

As the Municipality of Libungan progressed, new sitios and barrios in its northern part were established along with the development of Genio EDCOR Farm, and on June 21, 1969, the Kitacubong, Polayagan, Camansi, Mapurok, Macabasa, Paruayan, and Guiling together with the aforementioned six barios were identified in the Republic Act no. 5645 (An Act Creating the municipality of Alamada in the Province of Cotabato) as part of the jurisdiction of the municipality. Three years later, the Sitio Barangiran of Barrio Polayagan was separated from the latter and became a distinct and independent barrio on September 15, 1972.

 

By virtue of the Presidential Decree No. 557 signed by the late Pres. Ferdinand E. Marcos on September 21, 1974, all existing barrios or barrios that may hereafter be created in the Philippines were declared as Barangays.

 

On September 18, 1990, the Barangay Mirasol was created as result of the Sitio Plebiscite conducted by the Commission on Election at Barangay Kitacubong. Formerly, it was called EM’s Barrio (short for Enlisted Men’s Bario) but it was renamed after the EDCOR Chief, late Col. Ciriaco Mirasol, during its creation as barangay. Few month later, the Barangay Raradangan was created on December 17, 1990.

 

Portions of Barangay Dado and Barangay Pigcawaran were merged and founded into one new barangay, the Lower Dado, on November 29, 1992.  The plebiscite was conducted and supervised by by the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) pursuant to the Provincial Ordinance No. 14, Series of 1991 of the Sanguniang Panalalawigan of the Province of North Cotabato, which ratified the creation of Barangay Lower Dado as Proclaimed by the Plebiscite Board of Canvassers on November 29, 2017. Three decades after it was founded, the Barangay Lower Dado was constituted into a distinct and independent barangay pursuant to Republic Act No. 11848, approved on June 18, 2022.

 

 

THE CONCEPT OF TRI-PEOPLE: CHRISTIAN, LUMADS AND MUSLIMS

Before the coming of Islam in the island, Tabunaway and Mamalu were among the original people of Mindanao who are referred as ‘Lumad’, which means indigenous people. Tabunaway is the oldest among the several children of Sharif Maraja and Paramisuli; Mamalu is the youngest.

The Lumad include groups such as the different subgroups of Manobo, Banwaon, B’laan, Bukidnon, Dibabawon, Diyangan, Higaunon, Kaulo, K’lagan, K’lata Kuwemanen, Lambangian, Mamanuwa, Mandaya, Mangguwangan, Mansaka, Subanen, Tagabawa, Tagakaolo, Talaandig, Tasaday, Tboli, Teduray, Tinenanen,  and Ubu’. In the Munciaplity of Alamada, the Livunganen-Arumanen Manobo is the Lumad group with the highest number of population.

When Sharif Kabungsuwan came to Mindanao from Juhur and anchored at the area near the mouth of Rio Grande de Mindanao, he influenced Tabunaway and Mamalu to become Muslim and converted to Islam all the people of Magindanao, Matampay, Slangan, Simway and Katitwan. The Mindanao remained to home of Lumads and Muslims even after the spread Christianity in Luzon and Visayas in the 1570s.

In 1935, government-assisted migration to Mindanao on a large scale began with the establishment of the Philippine Commonwealth. American efforts to encourage Christian immigration to Mindanao were motivated in large part by the intention to “civilize” Muslims by contagion (McKenna, 1998). By 1960, it was reported the Christian immigrants outnumbered the Muslims in the area when the Economic Development Corps (EDCOR) program was successfully implemented. This is when the concept of Tri-People was born.

 

THE GENIO EDCOR FARM

As one of the solutions of President Ramon Magsaysay in the communist inspired HUKBALAHAP insurgency in Luzon, he resettled the HUK surrenderees in Mindanao and the Genio Edcor was one of his pilot projects. This plan was started when President Magsaysay was still the Secretary of National Defense during the administration of President Quirino, but this project is just an offshoot of the government’s earnest pursuit for the land resettlement program that began in 1939 when the National Land Settlement Administration (NLSA) was created pursuant to Commonwealth Act No. 441 signed by President Manuel L. Quezon on June 3, 1939.

With an aim of providing an opportunity for landless farmers to own lands, facilitating the settlement, acquisition, and development of the unspoiled lands of the country, and encouraging movement of population from congested areas to meagerly populated regions, the NLSA started its activities with the opening of Koronadal Valley and Allah Valley in Cotabato, and Mallig Plains in Isabela resettlement projects. However, the ambitious program was disrupted by World War II.

After the war, the program of land resettlement was resumed with the passage of Commonwealth Act No. 694 on October 15, 1945 which created the Agricultural Machinery and Equipment Corporation (AMEC) with an aim of introducing mechanized farming in the Philippines. This corporation was later absorbed by the National Development Company as its Machinery and Equipment Department.

On March 24, 1949, the Rice and Corn Production Administration (RCPA) was organized to promote and stimulate the production of Philippine staple crops, and was granted three land reservations, namely, Buluan including Colombio in Cotabato, Maramag-Wao in Bukidnon and Lanao, and Panacan, Aborlan, Palawan.

The NLSA, MED (AMEC) and the RCPA, agencies with allied functions, were merged during the administration of President Quirino with the issuance of Executive Order No. 355 creating the Land Settlement and Development Corporation (LASEDECO).

In 1954 to 1963, National Resettlement and Rehabilitation Administration (NARRA) was created in place of LASEDECO pursuant to Republic Act No. 1160, signed by President Ramon Magsaysay. NARRA then managed the land reservation.

The late Ramon Magsaysay initiated the establishment of the Economic Development Corps (EDCOR) Farms when he was the Secretary of National Defense to combat the HUKBALAHAP rebellion — an insurgency in quest of agrarian reform together with the complete economic freedom from the United States. The program idea was similar to the country’s resettlement program but the EDCOR Farms were under the implementation and management of the Armed Forces of the Philippines.

The army organized special units which were assisted by the Army Engineering Battalion to clear settlements in the vast wilderness in Mindanao – to survey and to clear a nucleus of what could be a resettlement area for the influx of these HUK returnees and landless Filipinos in the Visayas.  They designated Buldon, Buriasan in Lanao del Norte and part of Midsayap, Cotabato (which is now the Municipality of  Alamada) as pilot EDCOR FARMS. Other areas soon followed including the group headed by General Santos which is now the present General Santos City.

Four EDCOR farms have been named after military personnel of AFP Corps of Engineers who were ambush in Isabela, in 1953, while on survey and construction mission to what is now the Peredo farm. The Arevalo farm in Kapatagan, Lanao was named in honor of Major Pablo Arevallo, the Gallego farm in Parang, Cotabato, in honor of Lt. Carlos Gallego, the Pedro farm in Angadanan, Isabela, in honor of Captain Roque Peredo, and the Genio Farm, in Midsayap, Cotabato, was named in honor of M/Sgt. Rogerio Genio.

The Genio EDCOR Farm was the largest EDCOR farm with 899 settlers-families cultivating an area of 4,959 hectares which was then under the jurisdiction of the Municipality of Midsayap. The young soldiers were sent into the vast and untamed wilderness in the 1950s brought with them their military supplies and equipment including this military box, military field phone and other military instruments. Imagine in 1950 when the Municipality of Alamada was still unknown an its land was a virgin forest with towering Lawaan, Yakan, Biarong, Molave, Manggachapui and other hardwood trees that formed their crown shyness in the undulating terrains together with wild animals freely living in their habitat. Clearing the area to make it a home for settlers was an uneasy task, and the settlers had to sacrifice the muddy roads during rainy days.

With a uniform design, the houses of the soldiers by the Home Defense Army Unit of the Arm Forces of the Philippines at the area near the river which they called the Enlisted Men’s Barrio or commonly known as EMs Barrio, which is now the Barangay Mirasol. The house has two bedrooms, a kitchen at the back portion, a balcony in front with three-step staircases, one door and one window in front, and two sliding windows on both sides. Most parts of the house are made of hardwood like Molave, Apitong and Yakal, and the roof is Galvanized Iron Sheets. On the other hand, the officers’ housing project was located in the upper portion of near the soldiers’ training ground, which is now the Magsaysay Park. Later on, the Genio EDCOR Farm was simply known as “Genio Edcor”.

When the migrants arrived in Genio Edcor, which is now the Municipality of Alamada, there were no draft animals in the place. Hence, the Cebuanos and Illongos went back to Visayas and got their carabaos, cattle and horses and brought them to the settlement. When they arrived in Mindanao by ship, they walked together in a group with the animals from Parang Pier to Genio Edcor for several days. Some of them also bring a very heavy galingan nga bato (millstone), old-type sewing machine, and several kabans of personal belongings.

Horses were commonly used for transportation in the locality especially in hauling goods from and to the farm – this is locally known as karyada. Sometimes, horses were also used in plowing, stone milling and sugar cane pressing. The settlers then had to sacrifice the muddy roads during rainy days. Kaingin system and hunting of wild animals like talunon (wild boar), usa (deer), and ilahas (wild chicken) was also prevalent during those times. The Libungan River and its tributaries then were abundant with tilapia, paitan, kasili, haluan, pantat, and other freshwater organism.

With the very limited resources and the absence of more effective and efficient power pools,  two-man crosscut saw has made its significance in the clearing activities of the then forested land for the establishment of the home and dwelling. The dagyaw (bayanihan) had united the settlers in building the first public high school in the settlement – the Genio Edcor Elementary School (GEES).

By virtue of the Agricultural Land Reform Code that was signed into law by President Diosdado Macapagal on August 8, 1963, the NARRA was abolished and the Land Authority was created to implement the land reform.

In 1971, the Land Authority was abolished and the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) by virtue Republic Act No. 6389, approved by President Ferdinand Marcos. The Bureau of Resettlement, which was directly charged of implementing the resettlement program, was created within DAR.

Four EDCOR Farms, Arevalo, Catanauan, Gallego, and Peredo were turned over to the defunct Land Authority on June 30, 1967 and Barira and Genio EDCOR Farms were likewise turned over to the Department of Agrarian Reform on September 25, 1972. Arevalo Farm is now the Sapad Resettlement Project, Genio EDCOR Farm is the Municipality of Alamada, while  Gallego Farm is the Municipality of Buldon.

Practically, the entire municipality of Alamada is covered by the resettlement reservation. The total area of Alamada is 78,750 hectares but the officially proclaimed resettlement area then was only 34, 380 hectares.

 

THE ILAGA AND BLACKSHIRT WAR AND ALAMADA AS ZONE OF PEACE

The Island of Mindanao is rich in natural resources, including large quantities of mineral reserves. The American colonial government and subsequently the Philippine government pursued a policy of migration by resettling significant numbers of Christian Filipino settlers from the Visayas and Luzon onto tracts of land in Mindanao.  When a vast portion of the island, including the area where the Municipality of Alamada is now situated, was distributed to Filipinos under the resettle program of the government, more and more people from the Luzon and Visayas migrated to the area and both the Muslim and Lumad populations was outnumbered by Christian Filipinos. This was a contributing factor in aggravating grievances between the Muslim and Christian Filipino settlers as disputes over land increased. Another grievance by the Muslim people is the extraction of Mindanao’s natural resources by the central government whilst many Moros continue to live in poverty.

A wave of panic swept Christian communities in Cotabato after the formation of the Muslim Independence Movement (MIM), and within a month, reports began circulating that Christians were fleeing the area. Other Christians in Cotabato began forming self-defense groups, a trend which accelerated when rumors spread about young Muslims receiving military training in the Middle East and nearby Muslim countries.

One of the earliest such gangs was composed of Tidurays (a Lumad group) but led by a Christian Ilonggo, Feliciano Luces, nicknamed “Commander Toothpick”.  Later on, the group was known as “Ilaga” (Illongo for rats). The first known fight came in March 1970, aimed apparently against an extortionate Moro gang, which was known as “Blackshirt”, in the town of Upi, Cotabato.

Ilaga embraced a form of Folk Catholicism that utilizes anting-anting (amulets), close combat weapons and homemade firearms. This is the reason why they are also known as “Ilaga Anting-Antingan”.

As the conflict between Muslim and Christian Filipinos with the participation of the Lumads worsen, many Ilongos and some Cebuanos  men from the Municipality of Alamada also joined the Ilaga movement with an aim of protecting their only family and village, especially in the remote areas, from the extremist Moros who were also known as the Blackshirt. These tree groups (Muslim, Christian and Lumad) is now known as the tri-people.

Before a fight, the Ilaga Angting-Antingans drink the lana (oil) to become furious and during encounters, they chant their orasyon (spell) to protect them from any harm. With their anting-anting, bullets will simply pass through their bodies without harming them and even a sharp bolo or sword can’t wound them. Sometimes, they become invisible, depending on what kind of spell and amulets they use. They were also doing many rituals before any fight to make sure that their spell and amulets would work effectively.

On Good Fridays, the Ilaga Anting-Antingan gather to test and demonstrate their powers and invincibility. Orasyons (oraciones/spell) figure heavily in these rituals: the kabal at kunat oracion for surviving bloodless bolo hacks, the tagaliwas to cause bullets to deflect, the pamako to paralyze and the tagabulag to blind the enemy. The opportune time for anting-anting empowerment or renewal is Holy Week – especially eight o’clock in a cemetery or in a cave on Good Friday, the best time for antings to be granted its special powers or to be renewed. The empowerment and renewal ritual is rich in concoctions of prayers and incantations, either whispered (bulong) or written (oracion) in a language potpourri of pig-Latin and rural patois.

Because of their anting-anting, the Ilaga were very furious and could kill a Blackshirt member without mercy. Some of them cut the heads of their opponent and put them inside a sack as a trophy for winning the war.

 

THE ALAMADIAN LANGUAGE AND TRIBES

Alamadian Language is used by the people of the Municipality of Alamada, and it is basically a Hiligaynon (Ilonggo) language with mixture mostly Cebuano, Ilocano, Iranon, and Kinaray-a and a bit of Maguindanaon, Manonbo, Maranao, Boholano and Tagalog languages.

The mixture of languages was gradually formed because the locality was a settlement area where people from different places in the country came to take a parcel of land under the “Land for the Landless Program” of the government in the 1950s.

As the years go by and the people from different ethnicities interact with each other in public places like schools, churches, government offices and public markets, the locals learn each other’s languages and have slowly integrated them into their own vernacular language.

Since it is a mixture of several ethnic languages, there is sometimes a little confusion on the meaning of some words such as bolbol, which means feather in Hiligaynon but it means pubic hair in Cebuano. In cases like this where a word has negative or funny meaning in another ethnic language, the locals would prefer to use the more wholesome version of the word. Therefore, instead of saying, “ang bolbol sang manok” (the feather of chicken) which can be literally understood by the Cebuanos as “the pubic hair of chicken”, the Alamadian would say, “ang balahibo sang manok.” The word balahibo is the Cebuano word which means “feather” and has no funny meaning when translated by the other ethnic groups.

Since Alamada is a resettlement area, many people from the Visayas region started to migrate in the locality and majority of them are Ilonggos. According to the 2015 data of the Philippine Statistics Authority, 51% of the total population of the Municipality of Alamada is Ilonggo, 23% is Cebuano, 10% is Iranon, 6% is Ilocano, 5% is Karay-a, 2% is Maguindanaon, Maranao and the remaining percentage is composed of IP group of Manobo, Libunganon, Kaolo and other ethnic groups from Visayas such as Boholano, Antiquiño and Waray.

Because the Illongos comprised more than half of the population of Alamada, their language became the base of the Alamadian Language and the other ethnic languages were gradually incorporated into it. In fact in the locality, the younger generations of Iranons and Maguindanaons, who are known to the natives of Mindanao, can fluently speak the Alamadian Language.

 

HERITAGE ICONS AND ATTRACTIONS

In exploring the rich cultural and historical tapestry of the Municipality of Alamada, it is essential to highlight its prominent Heritage icons and attractions. This section delves into the landmarks, sites, personalities and other cultural properties that define the municipality’s unique identity and offer a glimpse into its past and present. From historical structures to natural wonders and cultural institutions, each element on this list plays a crucial role in preserving and celebrating Alamada’s heritage. These icons not only embody the local tradition and history but also serve as vital points of interest for residents and visitors alike, contributing to the community’s pride and cultural continuity.

 

Mt. Akir-Akir

Mt. Akir-Akir is located at the East border of the Municipality of Alamada, Cotabato sand surrounded by the Municpality of Pigcawayan, Libungan and Buldon. It has an elevation of 992m above sea level and prominence of prominence is 587m.

It is where the fort Kalilidan of Datu Amaibuliok Alamada was located, and the Americans suffered defeat because when they attacked this fort, big boulders and logs fell upon them.

On June 21, 1969, when the Municipality of Alamada was created, Mt. Akir-Akir was identified as one of the bordering landmarks on the East side of the municipality.

Toktok-Kalaw Hill, Bao

The Toktok-Kalaw is considered to be one of the unusual land formations in the municipality, having unique features resembling a hornbill’s beak-like summit. The hill were covered with green vegetation mostly cogon grass and common weeds standing approximately 665 meters above sea level.

Asik-Asik Falls, Dado

Asik-asik Falls is approximately 20-meter (60ft) high and 140-meter wide, but the source of water remains a mystery since the water simply burst from cracks; there was no river that ran on the hill.

Instead of flowing from the edge of the gorge, the water penetrates through bedding planes and joints in the rocky cliff that is adorned with a species of luxuriant water-loving plants and exhibits an outstanding display of water sprays and sprinkles with greenery on the background.

Detailed stratigrpahic mapping is needed to determine the relative age of the formation within Asik-Asik Falls area by tracing the possible underlying lower layers of basal conglomerates found at the falls, and detailed ground water assessment must be done to locate the recharge area of the Asik-Asik Falls as well as identify the flow rate through ground water techniques (Gaerlan, et al, 2022).  The water is said to be alkaline and therapeutic.

Daday Falls, Dado

Daday Falls is located at Sitio Mimbalawag, Brgy. Dado and  has an estimated height of 55 meters and drops in 90 degrees angle and is considered to be the highest falls in the Municipality of Alamada. There are also small waterfalls flowing on the cliffs around the main falls. It is the highest falls in Alamada which is adorned with different species of plants and has become one of the tourist attractions in the municipality.

Lake Baranibud, Dado

Lake Banaribud is located in the midst of the more than 10,000 hectares of virgin forest in Dado, Alamada at about 1,653 meters above sea level and 6 kilometers away from Daday Falls and 10 kilometers away from Asik-Asik Falls. At , 6.4 km north of the lake is the highest point in the area which is Mount Piapayungan, 2,815 meters above sea level. It is the biggest lake with clear fresh water in the municipality that is surrounded by a virgin forest. It is listed as one of the potential ecotourism sites in Alamada.

Libungan River

It springs on the slopes of Mount Piapayungan and flows south through the town of Alamada, Cotabato, particularly through the barangay of Dado, Lower Dado, Pigcawaran, Raradanga, Polayagan, Mirasol and Camansi.

It is called Libungan River because the Municipality Alamada was then part of the Municipality of Libungan as a barangay. In 1969, Alamada became a full-fledged municipality under RA 5645 but the river retained its name.

Malitubog River

The estimate terrain elevation above sea level is 28 metres. The Malitubog River is one of the major tributaries of the Maradugao River in Mindanao, Philippines. The Municipality of Alamada’s easternmost boundary is ends in the left bank of the river.

It was identified the boundary between the Municipality of Carmen and the Municipality of Alamada, North Cotabato under Republic Act No. 5645, which was approved on June 21, 1969.

Palepaz Falls, Dado

It is lying along the stream that is situated in the boundary between the three Sitios of Brgy. Dado namely: Palepayen, New Leon and New Tapaz. It is about a 20-minute walking distance from the barangay road of Sitio New Leon, Dado. Facing east, it is a horsetail type of waterfall that is about 30 meters in height with a plunge pool of about 10 meters in diameter.

It is a huge horsetail type waterfall that is surrounded by luxuriant vegetation and huge rocks, and its beauty has captured hundreds of visitors, making it one of the tourist attractions in the municipality.

Pobre Hidden Spring, Lower Dado

The  spring has an opening of about 2 meter wide which goes to a pool which has an area of 10 meters by 10 meters and a depth of 4 feet. At the west part of the spring is the century old bay-ang tree and to the east is the concrete swimming pool and Convention hall. At the south area of the spring is the paddy field and the spring reserve, and to the north is the hillside mangosten farm.

Raradangan Riverbank

The Raradangan Riverbank is located along the segment of Libungan River at Barangay Raradangan, Alamada, Cotabato. It stretches for about 500 meters from north to south in both sides of the river, and across the river is situated the Raradangan Bridge, which passes through the riverbanks.

The area serves as the picnic and recreational site of the locals and other visitors from the nearby municipalities. It visited by the thousands of people every month especially during weekends and holidays.

Dinorado Rice (Oryza sativa L. var. Dinorado)

Dinorado upland rice varieties were found to be significantly taller in height (176cm and 156cm) as compared to other varieties of rice, which is classified as an annual grass. It has a distinct fragrance reminiscent of pandan-leaves and popcorn when cooked. Alamada is known in the Province of Cotabato as the top producer of Dinorado.

Asik-Asik Plant (Elatostema sp.)

It is a pieces of Elatostema, but No one knows in the locality the particular common name of the plant and since it is known to be abundantly growing at the Asik-Asik Falls, people simply call it Asik-Asik Plant.

It is the plant that completes the amazing beauty of the Asik-Asik Falls. The colonies of the plant that grow on the cliff look like giant drapes on the wall of racks.

Haslo (Trichosanthes quinquangulata A. Gray)

It is a vine with globose fruit that ripen from green to smooth scarlet-red. Skin thin and shell-like, enclosing bright orange juicy pulp and numerous black to greyish-brown triangular-ovate seeds. The flower is white and leaves are broadly ovate.

It is grown on trellises in parks for their attractive bright scarlet-red, round fruits and five-angled leaves. The fruits are also used by florists as centerpieces.

Kadyos (Cajanus qajan)

It is a highly branched shrub with a woody base, slender stems. The leaves are trifoliate. Flowers open at a time on the same enflorescence, but the process of flowering continuous in each plant almost up to the time of harvest. Pods are containing five to seven seeds.

Kadyos is the main ingredient of the traditional and iconic KBL and KMU Ilonggo dishes, which are usually served during social gatherings like birthdays, weddings and fiestas. The first planting materials of kadyos were brought by the Illongos from Panay Island when they migrated to the locality in the 1960s.

Melagrosa (Selaginella tamariscina (Beauv.) Spring.)

The densely tufted stems are 4 – 15cm long, branched nearly to the base. They form a rosette, the stems and roots entangled to form a tree-like trunk that can exceptionally be 45cm long.

All throughout Region XII (if not in the entire Visayas and Mindanao) Milagrosa is first documented in Alamada. In the Philippines, this plant is only reported to be found in Cagayan, Ilocos Norte, Bontoc, Zambales, Pampanga, Rizal, Batangas, and Laguna, Quezon.

It is one of the beautiful species of fern that forms like a corsage when fresh and curls to the center like a flower when dried.

Budlat /Tarsier (Carlito syrichta)

It measures about 9cm by 16cm or about as big as a man’s fist and has disproportionately large eyes and thin, rough fur which is colored gray to dark brown. The narrow tail is bald except for a tuft of hair at the end, and is about twice the body length. It has large ears, resembling a bat, and round faces.

Forest is the habitat of the tarsier and Alamada was a vast virgin forest then but since this mammal is a very small primate, it was not spotted in the locality. When land was declared a settlement area in 1953, people started cutting the trees for commercial purposes and converted the land, including the mountains and hillsides, into cornfield. This is probably the reason why the tarsiers are now easily seen.

Cac Hall, Mirasol

It was built as recreation in early years of the 1950s as conference hall of the army and local officials using wooden materials, and then it was used as arts and recreation center. Improvement were done to the building including the concreting of some parts. Later on, it was used as school building of Alamada Community College.

It is one of the oldest buildings in the Municipality of Alamada that was 1950s by Army Chaplains when the place was still Genio EDCOR Farm. The graduation ceremony and other programs of Alamada Central Elementary School and Notre dame of Edcor also held in this building before the schools had established their own function hall and covered court. Later on, it was used as a college school building.

Ramon Magsaysay Athletic Park, Mirasol

The park has a sports field in the middle which usual used by the locals for jogging and biking.  The oval, lying along the NW-SE direction, has approximately 175 meter length, 75 meters width, and 450 meters perimeter. The width of the oval’s track is 10 meters.

It is the oldest park in the municipality which was established in the early of the 1950s near the Genio EDCOR Farm administration building and enlisted men’s cottages.

Ramon Magsaysay Venue, Mirasol-Kitacubong

The street stretches from Mirasol Plaza, Brgy. Mirasol to the Alamada Public Market, Brgy. Kitacubong. It is fully concreted that passes along the front side of the Alamada Central Elementary School perimeter and along the south border of the Alamada Public Market. It is a rolling type of street – some segments are inclined and some segments are horizontally even.

As the main street in the government seat of the municipality, many events were held in this avenue including the parades during the Araw ng Alamada. This is also the busiest street during school days because it connects the Alamada Public Market, Alamada Central Elementary School, Alamada Immaculate Conception Parish Church and the Notre Dame of Genio EDCOR.

It is the oldest street in the municipality which connects the Brgy. Mirasol and Brgy. Kitacubong, and it was named after President Ramon Magsaysay, who initiated to utilize the place as settlement area for HUKBALAHAP surrenderees in the 1950s.

Mt. Siya-Siya Pilgrimage Site, Bao

The site is on the top of Mt. Siya-Siya, which is in the middle of a five hectares protected area at Sitio Siya-Siya, Bao, Alamada. There is a 200-step concrete stairs from the base of the mountain going to the site with steel pipe railing. Some portion of the path on the hillside are still unpaved.

It is on the top of the saddle-like mountain in the municipality that offers a beautiful view of the surrounding.

Many devotees together with their family and friends climb to the site especially during the Holy Week. In the month of September, the Immaculate Conception Parish Church of Alamada holds a pilgrimage activity and mass in the site.

Pieces of Dead Brain Corals

These are several pieces of brain corals and giant clam shells with thick accretion of sedimentary rock. The largest shell measures 32cm in length, 24cm in width and 15 cm in height and weighs 14 kilograms. The smaller pieces of shell are as big as a man’s fist. The objects were found in an area which is about 200 meters above sea level and more or less than 40 kilometres away from the nearest sea.

Clay Jar with Metal Faucet

The jar is made from clay with a metal faucet and a repaired broken lid. It looks like an egg-shape with a flat circular bottom with a diameter of 22 centimeters. The height of the jar including the cover is 42 centimeters, the diameter of its “shoulder” is 40 centimeters and the thickness of its brim is 1.5 centimeters.

This banga, with metal faucet, is one of the oldest banga in the Municipality and this type was very common in the locality from the 1950s until the 1980s. Prior to the prevalence of plastic containers and home appliances in Alamada, this kind of clay jar can be found in almost every household as storage for drinking water.

Galingan nga Bato of Lopez Family

The galingan nga bato is made from a rough stone, which is off-white in color, and it has two parts –  the upper and the lower part and both parts are like a thick disk with a nozzle. The lower part is wider than the upper part.

It was brought by one of the one of the WW2 Veteran settlers in Genio Edcor, which is now the Municipality of Alamada, from Iloilo in 1950s.

Ilokano Burnay Jar of Monio Family

It has a form of a typical burnay jar with dark brown color. It has a total height of 30 centimeters ang weighs about 3 kilograms. The shoulder measures 32 centimeters and the base 16 centimeters in diameter. The brim is 15 centimeters in diameter and the lips a thickness of 2 centimeters.

It is one of the oldest burnay jars from Luzon that was produced in the early 1923. It was brought to Libungan when the place was still a part of the Municipality of Midsayap. I was brought to Alamada in 1988 when an Alamadian married a resident of Libungan whom she met when she was studying at Notre Dame University in Cotabato City.

Imo-Ako (Two-Man Crosscut Saw)

The imo-ako is made of murawon wood and bamboo, it has a length of 66 inches and width of 18 inches. The blade has rust and it has a length of 65.5 inches and a width of 1.5 inches. It has a unique blade because the teeth are big and it’s not in the same direction. It looks like a rectangle, imo ako has wood on the booth side.

It was used in the clearing activities in Genio Edcor (now the Municipality of Alamada) and building of houses in the 1950s. It was also one of the tools used in building the first two classrooms of the Genio Edcor Barangay High School (now Alamada High School) in 1967.

Pertromax 523/500cp Super

It is an old Pertromax 523/500CP Super with no more glass chimney. It is made of stainless with plastic knob on the pump and gas regulator parts. The 2-dragon with sun in the center insignia of the brand is engraved on the kerosene tank of this pressurized kerosene lantern.

It came from Arevalo EDCOR farm in Lanao and it was brought to Genio EDCOR in 1955 by the head carpenter who constructed the houses and building of the settlers and soldiers in the area.

It was bought by Pvt. Sgt. Wenceslao Suan in Lanao in 1953, and it was brought to Genio Edcor (now Alamada) by Pvt. Sgt. Suan from Arevalo Edcor in Lanao in 1954 when he together with his team was requested by Col. Dalmacio Tecson to construct the houses and building of the settlers and soldiers. It is inherited by his daughter Mrs. Andrea Suan Isogon, who is now the owner of the item.

Five Pieces Agong Set

Each item of this agong set is a made of bronze. It is large, heavy, wide-rimmed gong like a kettle gong. The set of agong is compose of 5 different sizes and sounds and hung horizontally suspended by ropes with its gong stand.

It is so far the oldest recorded set of agong in the Municipality of Alamada. It was inherited from Sinbangan Alamada, a relative of Datu Amaybulyok Alamada whom the name of the Municipality of Alamada was derived in memory and in honor to his powerful rule in the in the area.

Military Steel Box

The Military Box Is Made From Steel And It Has A Length Of 30 Inches, Width Of 8 Inches And Height Of 10 Inches. It Weighs Four Kilograms And Has A Military Green Color.

It Was Produced In The 1940s And Was Brought By A Soldier, One Of The Men Of The Armed Forces Of The Philippines (AFP) Who Was Designated By President Quirino To Implement The Land For The Landless Program, In The Locality In 1953.

It Was Given By The Americans After WW2 To The AFP And By The Latter To Lt. Crispin Segura Paciente. It Was Brought By Lt. Paciento To Genio Edcor, Which Is Now The Municipality Of Alamada. It Was Used As Storage Of Bullets And Ammunition Of The Soldiers, But Later On, The Paciente Family Used The Box As Storage Of Important Personal Belongings.

Alamada Hymn

Alamada Hymn is the official song composition which typifies and identifies the natural and cultural heritage of the Municipality of Alamada. It is sung after the Philippine National Anthem during opening programs of various activities and flag ceremonies in Alamada. It was composed by Mrs. Corazon C. Biyo in 2019.

The community sings it together every after the singing of the Philippines National Anthem especially if the activities is conducted by the Local Government Unit and by a public school.

Samayaan Festival

According to the tribe, Samayaan Festival is their expression of gratitude to God for giving them good and peaceful life and the same time to welcome the New Year with excitement and happiness since it is celebrated every 26th day of December every year.

As an expression of gratitude to God for giving them good and peaceful life and the same time to welcome the New Year, it was started by Datu Mandaurog Angsiggay (the first IP leader in the area) in Brgy. Malitubong, Alamada, Cotabto in 1962.

Kapawa Festival

“Kapawa” is a Hiligaynon or Ilonggo word which means light, and the festival is celebrated every December in conjunction with the traditional Filipino celebration of Christmas and New Year to make the Season more joyous and colorful.

It provides an avenue for the community to get involved and interact with each other in a more creative and proactive manner. The main venue for the themed display has become a family or friends bonding time destination throughout the season.

Iranun Tarsila

The tarsila is a genealogical record or narration of the Iranun and it has two kinds: the Tisa and the Sitta. The Tisa is the genealogical record of the nine shariffs, descendants of the Prophet Muhammad through his daughter Fatima, who came out of Meccah in Saudi Arabia to spread Islam and its tenets. The Tisa tarsila points all the way up to the Prophet Muhammed and his ascendants all the way to Adam. The Sitta tarsila on the other hand recounts the ancestors and descendants of Shariff Kabunsuan who himself is a direct descendant of the Prophet Muhammed. The Sitta Tarsila is the basis of all genealogical lines of the Sultanates of Maguindanao and Sulu.

An alternative name to the tarsila is silsilah which is Arabic for ‘chain’ or ‘link’.

Linagpang Nga Manok

“Linagpang nga Manok” dish originated from Hiligaynon people in Western Visayas, and in the process of cooking linagpang starts from grilling the chicken meat along with the spices like garlic, onion, ginger, tomato and scallion.

The dish has an aromatic and smoky flavor because the ingredients were grilled before they were cooked in the soup. Its unique taste and the aroma of the spices and other ingredients makes the Visayan people crave for the dish.

Tinoom Nga Kadupdup

Since kadupdup were abundantly growing on the logs and branches of cut trees around the farm, yet the farmers often did not have cooking pots in the fields years ago, they only wrapped the cleaned kadupdup with spices with several layers of young banana leaves then placed it over the fire to cook. This method of cooking is known as “tinuom”. Naturally, the dish will not be fully cooked.

The practice of making tinoom nga kadupdup was brought in the locality by the Ilongo people from Panay Island. It also became common during the time when kaingin system became rampant in the locality.

Kusahos Making

Kusahos is a sun-dried marinated lean meat of carabao, horse or cow. This is one of the oldest meat preservation methods that is being practiced in Alamada, and this technology was brought by the Illongo who came from Visayas and migrated in the locality in the 1950s until the 1960s. Later on, it was also adopted by the Cebuanos and other tribes in the locality.

It is a traditional meat preservation method known in the municipality that was brought by the Illonggo and Karay-a people from the Visayas region in the 1950s until the 1960s.

Inad-Ad nga Balinghoy Flour Processing

Inad-ad nga Balinghoy is sun-dried cassava tuber chips, which is used in making an aromatic traditional cassava flour. This flour is used in making lupi and putaktak with distinctive taste and aroma which is often served during Kalag-kalag (All Souls Days), Christmas, New Year and family celebrations. The process is often done during summer or dry season.

It is a traditional way of processing cassava which was brought by the Ilonggos in the locality from Visayas region when they migrated in the area in the 1950s and 1960s.

Bamboo and Coconut Kitchen Utensils Making

Bamboo and coconut shell were the materials commonly used in making common kitchen utensils in the past like suki, hungot and luwag. Suki is bamboo drinking glass, hungot is a coconut shell bowl, and luwag is a ladle made from coconut shell which fastens with a nito on a bamboo handle.

Making bamboo and coconut shell kitchen utensils is not only a skill but also an art because the design and styles that could be applied on the production is endless.

This was a traditional, eco-friendly and cheapest way of producing kitchen utensils back in the 1950s until 1990s because almost every household in the farm had one of those mentioned utensils.

Romblon Weaving

Romblon weaving has become the livelihood of many locals before and by few nowadays. Since banig was a necessary household item in the past, many people had to learn the craftsmanship to save money from buying a sleeping mat.

In 1950s to 1980s romblom weaving was common in the locality since every household use romblom sleeping mats and farms.

Traditionally, roblom weaving is a collaborative work where neighbors in the community help each other in collecting fresh romblon leaves, preparing the strips and weaving large sleeping mats.

Split Bamboo Weaving

Split bamboo weaving has been used in the locality to produce different types of container of farm produce especially during harvest time. There are multiple products of split bamboo weaving like kalalaw (winnower), pugaran (chicken nest), tabungos (a very huge storage container), tabig (harvest carrier), and amakan (drying mats), which was used in the traditional way of drying farm produced and processing the inad-ad nga balinghoy powder.

The technology has been practiced by the Ilonggo and Cebuano people in the Visayas region and they brought it to the Alamada when they migrated in the area in the 1950s and 1960s.

There are also concerns about non-biodegradable solid waste and its negative impact to the environment and to health of the people, and the eco-friendly materials like those products that are made from bamboo to minimize the world’s problem about solid waste.

Datu Amaybuliok Alamada

Datu Amabuliok Alamada was an Iranundatu of “Idalemen” tribe. Idalemen means people of the woods). He was the son of Rajah Muda Makod and Bai Gansing. Bai Gansing was from Malalis, Butig, a town in Lanao. His rule spans the lower part of Buldon, northern part of Nuling (now Sultan Kudarat Municipality) up to Manuangan, Pigcawayan, Banilsilan and Kitacubong.

Datu Amaybuliok Alamada was a powerful Iranun ruler who fought the Americans for 20 years starting the year 1906. In his memory and honor, the Municipality of Alamada was named after him pursuant to Republic Act 5645.

Major Dalmacio Tecson

When the army organized special units which were assisted by the Army Engineering Battalion to clear settlements in the vast wilderness in Mindanao – to survey and to clear a nucleus of what could be a resettlement area for the influx of these HUK returnees and landless Filipinos in the Visayas, Major Dalamacio Tecson was appointed as the Administrator of Genio EDCOR Farm (which is now the Municipality of Alamada).

Alamada Central Elementary School

In the last part of 1954, some personnel of the Engineering Battalion from Camp Aguinaldo made a survey for road construction to Kitacubong where they established their headquarters from the settlement. Genio EDCOR Farm was formally opened in 1954 for landless farmers. The priority of the people after they were settled was the education of their children. They built a school building with twenty-four (24) classrooms and twenty-four (24) teachers. Genio EDCOR Elementary School was the only school in Alamada and Libungan under the district of Midsayap and it was established on January 01, 1955.

It is the first ever formal education institution that was established in the locality in 1955, just a year after the place was established as a settlement area in 1954.

Alamada High School

The cultural endeavors that dwell in ALAMADA HIGH SCHOOL were dominantly visible by the various ethnicity of students who graduated and became a part of the growing municipality. Artists were born and molded; doctors, athletes and dancers who brought fame to the municipality were all products of this institution.

It is the first public high school in the municipality that was established in 1967 when the place was still known as Genio Edcor.

Notre Dame of Genio Edcor, Inc.

Notre Dame of Genio Edcor, Inc. (Old name: Notre Dame of Edcor ) is a private, Catholic academic institution run by the Oblates of Notre Dame located in Alamada, Cotabato, Philippines. Thus, making this school the first Notre Dame school overseen by the OND Sisters. This institution is a member of the Notre Dame Educational Association.

Established in 1958, it has been one of the pioneering schools under the Notre Dame Educational System in the province of North Cotabato.

Immaculate Conception Parish Of Alamada

The history of the parish of the Immaculate Conception dates back to the time when Army Chaplains were still in charge of the “settlers” in 1955. They are the ones who responded to the spiritual needs of the people. Under the command of Army Chaplains, they did not have a festival because the church did not have a patron yet.

It was established in 1955 by the Army Chaplains who were assigned as in-charge of the settlers of the Genio EDCOR, which was established in 1954.

Alamada Southern Baptist Church

Alamada Southern Baptist Church, formerly known as Alamada Baptist Church, was planted by an American missionary, Harold Mathews in 1958, and the first local pastor who served the church when it was organized was Pastor Kandari, and it was followed by Ptr. Luis Española Sr. in 1960, and succeeded by Ptr. Romeo Palma.

It is the first Baptist Church in the locality which was planted by the American missionary in 1958, eight years after the Philippines Baptist Mission was organized in the country.

Alamada Seventh-Day Adventist Church

Alamada Seventh-day Adventist have an active life engagement in society. Every year they conduct several outreach programs in remote barangays of Alamada they serve the community through gift giving, tree planting, feeding, etc.

It is the first Seventh Day Adventist Church in the Municipality that was organized February 24, 1962.

 

REFLECTIONS: THE LEGACY AND FUTURE OF ALAMADA

As we draw our exploration of Alamada to a close, it becomes clear that this municipality is a living testament to the resilience and vibrancy of its people. From its storied past, marked by periods of both struggle and triumph, to the rich cultural tapestry that defines its present, Alamada stands as a beacon of enduring heritage and dynamic growth.

The tales of early settlers, the evolution of local traditions, and the profound impact of historical events have collectively shaped a unique identity that Alamada proudly upholds. The municipality’s festivals, local crafts, and communal celebrations continue to honor its ancestors while fostering a strong sense of community and belonging.

Today, Alamada is not only a place where history is preserved but also a community where the future is being actively crafted. The innovative spirit of its residents, coupled with a deep respect for their roots, promises a vibrant future that respects the past while embracing new possibilities.

In reflecting on the history and culture of Alamada, we recognize a community that thrives on the interplay of tradition and modernity. It is this delicate balance that ensures the municipality remains a place of both historical significance and contemporary relevance—a true embodiment of its rich and multifaceted heritage.

As we conclude this journey through Alamada’s past and present, we are reminded of the importance of preserving and celebrating local histories. Alamada’s story, with its blend of endurance, creativity, and pride, serves as an inspiring example of how communities can honor their heritage while confidently moving toward the future.

 

 

 

BIBLIOGRAPHY

 

Abaya-Ulindang, F., and Ranises L. ( 2018, March 17-18). Land as Central in the Struggle of Mindanawons (1950’s to the present): the Role of Philippine Populist Presidents Magsaysay, Estrada and Duterte, a Comparative Historical Study [Paper presentation].ERPI 2018 International Conference Authoritarian Populism and the Rural World. The Hague, Netherlands.

Editorial Team (2007). 101 Filipino Icons. Philippines: Adarna House, Inc. and Bench.

Aguilar, Y., Gascal V. Sr., Tan, Eduardo, S. (2022). Stratigraphic and Geomorphic Analysis of North Cotabato: Implications on the Geological Evolution of Asik-Asik Falls. DENR MGB – Region XII.

 

An Act Creating Certain Barrios in the Municipality of Midsayap, Province of Cotabato, Republic Act No. 2835, § 1 and 8 (June 19, 1960) (Phil.).

An Act Creating the Municipality of Alamada in the Province Of Cotabato, Rep. Act No. 5645, § 1 (June 21, 1969) (Phil.).

An Act Creating the Municipality of Banisilan in the Province of North Cotabato, Batas Pambansa Blg. 141, (February 8, 1982) (Phil.).

Creating the Municipality of Carmen in the Province of Cotabato, Executive Order No. 214, (November 15, 1956) (Phil.).

Creating the Municipality of Libungan in the Province of Cotabato, Executive Order No. 414, (January 27, 1961) (Phil.).

DENR XII – CENRO Midsayap. (2019). Protected Area Suitability Assessment (PASA) Report for Libungan River Watershed Forest Reserve. Community Environment and Natural Resources Office – 124709.

 

Establishing  As Libungan River Watershed Forest Reserve for Purposes Of Protecting, Maintaining, or Improving Its Water Yield and Providing Restraining Mechanism for Inappropriate Forest Exploitation and Disruptive Land-Use, a Certain Parcel of Land of the Public Domain Located in the Municipalities of Libungana Alamada, Province of North Cotabato, Island of Mindanao, Philippines, Proclamation No. 563, (May 3, 1990) (Phil.).

Gaerlan, S., Tan, E., Sebua. M., Gascal, V., Gegare, L., Dela Cruz, T., Garcia, E., Matas, P. (2022). Report on the Geology of Asik-Asik Falls, a Proposed Geological Monument, Located in Barangay Upper Dado, Municipality of Alamada, Province of Cotabato. DENR MGB – Region XII.

 

Gamas, J.H.D., Limba, …, & Beleno, R.B.III (2017). Mindanao Muslim history: Documentary sources from the advent of Islam to the 1800s. Quezon City, Philippines: New Day Publishers

Greenberg, Lawrence M. (1987). The HUKBALAHAP Insurrection: A Case Study of a Successful Anti-Insurgency Operation in the Philippines, 1946-1955. U.S. Government Printing Office. Washington, D.C..

Lima, R.D., DBA (2013). Ecotourism with tourism planning and development essentials. Manila, Philippines: Mindshapers co., Inc.

 

Municipal Cultural Mapping Team (2022). Profile of the Significant Cultural Heritage – Volume 1. Municipality of Alamada, Province of Cotabato, Philippines.

National Economic and Development Authority (1997). Sustainability Of DAR Resettlement Projects in Region XII. National Economic and Development Authority. Cotabato City, Philippines.

Organizing the Municipal Districts of Daguma, Isulan, Maganuy, Reina Regente, Talayan, and the Southern Portion of  the Municipal District of Dulawan and the Municipal District of Libuñgan and the Northern Portion of The Municipal District of Dulawan, Province of Cotabato, Into Independent Municipalities Under the Names of Dulawan and Midsayap, Executive Order No. 66, (November 25, 1936) (Phil.).

Reserving for the Use of the Economic Development Corps (EDCOR) a Certain Parcel of the Public Domain Situated in the Municipality of Parang, Province of Cotabato, Island of Mindanao,  Proclamation No. 376, (March 10, 1953) (Phil.).

Torres, J.Z. (2016). The Camino Real to Freedom and Other Notes on Philippine History and Culture. Manila, Philippines: University of Santo Tomas Publishing House

Lidasan, M.D. (2013, August 24). Datu Alamada. Retrieved May 16, 2022, from https://madlidasan.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/datu-alamada/comment-page-1/.

McKenna, T.M., (1998). Muslim Rulers and Rebels: Everyday Politics and Armed Separatism in the Southern Philippines. Berkeley:  University of California Press,. http://ark.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/ft0199n64c/